I’m A Celebrity… Get Me Out of Here! is facing yet more trouble before this year’s series has even kicked off following the news that Wales is heading into a full national lockdown.
The ‘circuit breaker’ lockdown has been enforced to try and halt the spread of coronavirus.
People are being told to stay at home and only leave for essential items or to exercise outdoors. Under the new rules people cannot mix with anyone that they don’t already live with indoors or outside.
The regulations are set to come in force at 6pm on Friday and last until November 9 – with the ITV reality show expected to launch on Sunday 15.
Following the latest tightening of social distancing, a spokesperson for the series confirmed to the Mirror that it will continue in keeping with the new rules.
“I’m A Celebrity continues to adhere to all relevant guidelines as well as our own strict Covid protocols,” they explained.
Progress is being made at the show’s new location – Gwrych Catle, in North Wales, despite the pandemic.
Earlier today, it was revealed that a new plumbing system was being installed at the listed building, for upcoming trials and the celebs to use in camp.
It was feared that this year’s stars would have to head to Wales sooner than expected when First Minister Mark Drakeford spoke of plans to close the borders to tourists last week.
The Labour led Welsh government banned people from travelling into Wales from Tier 2 and Tier 3 areas in parts of the UK.
The government said a sharp lockdown was essential to giving the NHS breathing space ahead of a difficult winter.
The temporary national lockdown, to come in to force on Friday, will take measures a step further.
ITV decided earlier this year to move I’m A Celeb’s location from Australia to Wales to try and beat travel restrictions only to see a rise in coronavirus cases at home in the UK in recent weeks.
Director at the station Kevin Lygo said that the majority of contestants had been booked up to prior to the change.
“We were worried they thought they were going to hot sunny bug-infested Australia, and now they are going to north Wales in the dark, but everyone is still there and excited,” he told the Edinburgh TV festival.
“I think it will be fascinating to see and to have this reboot of a treasured brand forced upon us, I think, is a good thing.”